Thursday, January 31, 2008

Amazon To Buy Audible: Where Does That Leave The Other "A"?


Amazon announced an agreement to acquire Audible Inc. If approved by the government and shareholders, the merger will give Audible.com's 80,000 strong library of audiobooks, radio programs, newspapers to Amazon.

The $300 Million deal is expected to conclude by Q2, 2008.

Apple currently allows access (through iTunes) to all of AUDIBLE.COM.

With Amazon turning to a completely DRM free music download model that is compatible with Macs & PCs ... I wonder how this deal (if at all) would affect Apple.

Audible was a prime target and logical acquisition for Amazon ... I just wonder if Apple will file a letter of opposition to regulators and shareholders.

Have any of you ever purchased an audio-book from AUDIBLE?

2 comments:

Jensonb said...

I grabbed the Audible version of DisneyWar by James B. Stewart - one of my favourite books. Great.

I am a lover of children's literature said...

I hope Apple intervenes and buys Audio under Amazon's nose! Apple has 18 billion in the bank, is debt free and it would be in better hands under Apple, and I agree with the post:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/amazon_buys_audible_too_bad_it_wasnt_apple

Yes, it is a shame, a bloody shame!